Call for Plant Science PhD student: BSPP Outreach Internship
28 Sep 2013
Since October 2012, BSPP have been developing and running outreach activities to promote the exciting world of plant pathology. At public events in 2013 we directly reached 1,500 people and want to reach many more in 2014.
The BSPP are now offering a PhD student internship to assist with our outreach activities next year. The intern will learn how to develop and run outreach activities at events around the UK, research and develop educational resources on plant sciences and plant pathology, use social media and websites to promote plant pathology. For more information read the report on the 2013 Outreach Internship.
- Work on a diverse range of activities from creating new resources to communicating with members of the public.
- Build communication skills by explaining complex science to different groups, including young people.
- Gain insight into how different members of the public view science and learn from the questions they ask.
- Strengthen own plant science and plant pathology knowledge through communicating a broad spectrum of plant science, helping to make connections outside of own research area.
- Gain from networking opportunities to form valuable connections with leading scientists at an early career stage.
Additional Knowledge and Skill Requirements
The internship requires an enthusiastic PhD student, preferably with some science outreach/communication experience. Attention to detail, curiosity, perseverance, and the ability to work independently are essential.
The internship is offered during the spring – summer of 2014 and is well suited to the DTC requirement for an industrial placement. Please note the BSPP will only cover travel expenses and will not pay the student. Please ask your academic adviser to verify that this internship would qualify for credit as part of their PhD studies.
How to apply
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter explaining why you’re interested in this internship, enclosing your CV by the 1st February 2014.