The BSPP is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The BSPP may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 24 April 2009.
The site uses session cookies to retain login information from page to page.
For General Users (non-members)
- The BSPP does not use any tracking cookies, and does not collect or retain (personal) information about general users of the site.
- Access to the pages on the site is recorded by our hosting provider/server according to IP address. This information is used primarily for statistical purposes. However, if we become aware of, or suspect, abuse/misuse of the site from a particular IP address, we may exclude that IP address from access to the site.
For Members/Membership Applications
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and status
- address and contact information including email address
- your journal preferences, your payment method
- information about your professional interests
- other information such as your reasons for joining the Society
- details of your subscription payments including direct debit instructions
What we do with the information we gather
How we use this information:
- Membership administration and accounting purposes.
- To contact you by e-mail or post about the Society's activities, including sending you the Society's journals, Newsletter and details about the Society's meetings and events.
- Some of the information provided by members (such as contact details and professional interests) is made available to other members through a searchable database (see below for access options).
- We do not disclose your information to any third parties except to our journal publishers/printers and distributors (to facilitate distribution of journals, etc.).
Via Card or PayPal
When making subscription payments online with a credit/debit card or PayPal account, you will be transferred to the PayPal secure payment servers to enter your financial information. By doing so, the BSPP does not have access to your financial details. PayPal is required to comply with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) guidelines and has been fully compliant for a number of years. PayPal helps protect your credit card information with industry-leading security and fraud prevention systems. When you make a payment via PayPal, your financial information is never shared with the BSPP.
When creating a direct debit mandate online, you will be transferred to GoCardless secure servers to enter your bank account details. By doing so, the BSPP does not have have any access to your financial details. GoCardless is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority and all sensitive information is encrypted and only communicated over secure channels. You are fully protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee and can cancel your direct debit at any time from the subscriptions page in the members' area.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we believe we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over those other websites. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your information
- Members can amend much of their information by logging into their account using their username and password. Click here to go to the members area.
- Some of the information provided by members (such as contact details and professional interests) can be accessed by other members through a searchable database. If you do not wish this information to be accessible to other members you can prevent access by unchecking the Show details checkbox on the Amend Qualifications and Interests page (www.bspp.org.uk/members/editinterests.php) or by contacting the membership administrator.
- You may request details of all personal information which we hold about you covered by Data Protection Legislation. If you would like a copy of the information held on you, please contact the membership administrator.
- If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.