Carer and Disability Support Grant
We recognise that many of our members are also carers, have disabilities or may have need of additional assistance to help them attend a meeting. This can present a major challenge to attending scientific meetings, and hence to career advancement. The BSPP will make available up to £300 to BSPP members with children or dependent adults (including adult children with a disability or elderly relatives), or to members in need of additional assistance due to disability, to spend as they wish to facilitate the member’s attendance at any conference for which a travel award is being applied for.
Any BSPP member who has a child, or cares for a dependent adult at the time of the conference, or who is disabled and in need of additional assistance may apply for this award.
From 2022, Carer and Disability Support Grants can be made independently of Travel Award applications.
You must meet the eligibility criteria for the Travel Award Fund, however, from 2022, students can apply if they have been members for less than 12 months, provided that their supervisor is a member and provides a statement of support.
Applications can be submitted by members at any stages of their professional career, but priority will be given to early career researchers and according to need.
A maximum of one grant per applicant will be supported within a 12 month period between events.
Applicants will be asked to provide:
- Career stage (undergraduate student/postgraduate student/postdoctoral researcher/within 5 years of appointment to your first position/senior researcher/unemployed)
- Description of role as caregiver for a dependent adult, child, or relative, or needs for personal assistance.
- A brief justification of the need for this award (300 words max)
- Amount requested, up to a maximum of £300, and how you intend to use it. However, under exceptional circumstances, larger awards will be considered. Eligible costs include, but are not limited to: additional childcare, extra care at home for dependents, extra travel costs of carer or disabled member, e.g. providing airfare for your child or for your assistant to accompany you and attend functions with you if needed, flying a relative out to help with care at your home while you’re at the meeting.
- Successful applicants will be paid after confirmation of attendance is provided.
Use the on-line application form below to apply.