Carer Support Grant
We recognise that many of our members are also carers, or may have need of a carer to help attend a meeting. These personal responsibilities can present a major challenge to attending scientific meetings, and hence to career advancement. The BSPP will make available up to £300 to BSPP members with children or dependent adults (including adult children with a disability or elderly relatives), or in need of personal assistance, to spend as they wish to facilitate the member’s attendance at any conference for which a travel award is being applied for. Carer Support Grants will only be awarded to successful Travel Award applications, but the outcome of the Carer Support Grant will not influence your Travel Award.
Any BSPP member who has a child or cares for a dependent adult at the time of the conference, or is in need of personal assistance may apply for this award as part of their application to the Travel Award Fund, therefore you must meet the eligibility criteria for the Travel Award Fund. Applications can be submitted by members at any stages of their professional career, but priority will be given to early career researchers and according to need.
Applicants will be asked to provide:
- Career stage (undergraduate student/postgraduate student/postdoctoral researcher/within 5 years of appointment to your first position/senior researcher/unemployed)
- Description of role as caregiver for a dependent adult, child, or relative, or needs for personal assistance.
- A brief justification of the need for this award (300 words max)
- Amount requested, up to a maximum of £300, and how you intend to use it. However, under exceptional circumstances, larger awards will be considered. Eligible costs include, but are not limited to: additional childcare, extra care at home for dependents, extra travel costs of carer, e.g. providing airfare for your child or for your caregiver to accompany you and attend functions with you if needed, flying a relative out to help with care at your home while you’re at the meeting.
- Successful applicants will be paid after confirmation of attendance is provided.
Use the on-line application form below to apply.